Israel’s government recently announced that it had signed a deal with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google for a more than $1 billion project to provide cloud services for the country’s public sector and military. A month ago, AWS and Google won a tender, beating out Microsoft, Oracle, and IBM for the four-phase project known as “Nimbus”.
- A provider of Cloud services: Nimbus is a multi-year project intended to provide a comprehensive solution for the provision of cloud services to the government, the defense system, and other groups in the economy. The four phases of the project include the acquisition and construction of cloud infrastructure, formulating government policy for migrating to the cloud, integration, migration, and control and optimization of cloud activity.
- Significant development for Israel: The availability of cloud services in Israel will allow significant transfer of government services to capitalize on the technological advantages in the cloud to improve services to citizens and increase economic efficiency. It will also help promote Israel’s innovation and encourage the creation of an ecosystem in cloud technologies.
- Multilayer project : “Amazon (AWS) and Google were selected as the providers awarded the government’s cloud services,” the Finance Ministry said, announcing the result of the tender for Project Nimbus, a multiyear project to migrate Israel’s public information technology to the cloud. The government expects the shift of the entire Israeli state to a new local cloud to lead to increased foreign investments in Israel’s infrastructure and is hoping it will be a boon for the local tech industry.
- A pathbreaker :Google and Amazon beat out Microsoft and Oracle had either dropped out or was rejected over regulatory issues. The cloud services will be hosted by local cloud providers. The data stored on them will remain within Israel’s borders under strict data security regulations overseen by the relevant government offices.
- A flagship plan: Project Nimbus is our flagship multi-year plan and the first of its kind. The project is intended to provide the government, the defense establishment, and others with an all-encompassing cloud solution,” the ministry said, adding it “would require serious investment in infrastructure and advancing the Israeli ecosystem in terms of cloud technology.