With the launch of Explore, Interest-based matches, and involved in brief chats before a match is found, Tinder revamped the app to put more emphasis on its social, interactive aspects. Taken together, the modifications help Tinder move away from its roots as a match-based dating app and toward becoming more of a social network that helps users meet new people.
- A new appeal: This change may appeal to a younger population that believes traditional online dating has lost its novelty. These users are now turning to apps that advertise themselves as locations to meet new people while dating app newcomers are experimenting with alternative ways to connect users. Snack, for example, uses brief, TikTok-style films and SwoonMe use sounds.
- New features: Tinder Explore will launch with a number of existing features as well as a new way to meet people. Users can connect with people depending on their shared hobbies, such as foodies, gamers, music fans, social causes, entrepreneurs, and more. More interests will be introduced over time, allowing Tinder users to find someone based on their appearance.
- Enhances software: Explore will also feature Tinder’s ‘Swipe Night,’ an interactive series that debuted in 2019 as an in-app ‘choose your own adventure story that has boosted Tinder engagement by giving users a reason to reopen the app at some time. Tinder lauded “Swipe Night” as a success, claiming that it attracted over 20 million users and resulted in a 26 percent increase in matches when it originally aired.
- New add-ons: It will now also leverage the ‘Quick Chat’ feature that powers Tinder’s ‘Hot Catch’ experience, which allows unmatched users to chat.“Hot Takes” will also appear in Tinder Explore, which the company describes as a low-stake way to correspond with other users. During the countdown, chatting users can choose whether they want to match.
- A new approach to dating: “A new generation of daters demand more of us in the post-Covid world: more ways to have fun and interact with others virtually and more control over who they meet on Tinder,” said Jim Lanzone, CEO of Tinder, in a company announcement. . “Today’s launch of Explore is a major step in creating a deeper, multidimensional interactive experience for our members that expands the possibilities of Tinder as a platform,” he added.